Comfort food season has arrived! There’s something about the flavors of fall foods that are more warming than the rest. Buttery squash, spicy pumpkin flavors, nutty aromas, apples upon apples, and of course, bacon. Yummmm. And if you’re not already filling up with cans of organic pumpkin puree, you’re doing it wrong. You can put that stuff in everything!
Let’s do this (talk about food that is).
1. Spaghetti Squash with Meatballs – this is a staple in our house in the fall and even through the winter. Spaghetti squash is back in season, and it’s the perfect paleo option for pasta. We use it all the time, in so many different recipes! I absolutely adore Caitlin’s blog and I can eat everything in her recipes!
2. Apple, Pecan & Bacon Butternut Squash Hash – this is Kyle’s absolute favorite. We get local pastured bacon from our favorite farm, Hendrick’s, and make this on Saturday mornings and top our plate with a fried egg from our own chickens. Sometimes we’ll make this for dinner too — breakfast for dinner, anyone? So good.
3. Caramel Apple Spice Waffles – this recipe requires a little more ingredients than I typically like, but it’s so good, you won’t be sorry. It’s perfect for a lazy weekend morning, with a giant mug of Bulletproof coffee.
4. Pork Chops with Sage-Garlic Butter – I know some paleo eaters don’t use butter, and I imagine ghee would work just fine in this recipe, though I’ve never tried it. We do use grass-fed butter from local organic farms, and the flavor simply cannot be beat. Using regular old factory butter is just a crime, don’t do it. We get pastured pork from local farms as well, and boy, do I love a good pork chop.
5. Pumpkin Spice Latte – Oh my heavens, you gotta try this. It’s insanely yummy and will have your PSL running. This recipe uses creamy coconut milk instead of dairy milk. I think the real trick here is to use real pumpkin, if you’ve got any on hand. I used organic canned pumpkin and it tasted just fine though!